Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Elvistravaganza @ Bumbershoot!

King's Helm
I've been working on a fun new piece for a special group show at this year's Bumbershoot Festival in Seattle!  I was asked by Jo David and Marlow Harris to create a piece in honor of Elvis for their ELVISTRAVAGANZA show!  I wanted to recreate something iconic, bright and flashy, but in my minimal aesthetic.  I had a coil of baling wire in the basement and did some playing!

King's Helm
I created an armature of Elvis's hair with bailing wire and 2 pairs of pliers.  The armature was spray sealed to prevent rusting and I wove copper and brass wire around the armature to give it form.  The brass wire is the gold/yellow color and the copper wire make up the other colors.  I really love working in this method, there are minimal tools and materials involved.  It was very time intensive though and many bruised finger tips!

King's Helm
King's Helm 2012
13 1/2"H x 10"W x 11"D
Steel, copper and brass wire

ELVISTRAVAGANZA @ Bumbershoot
September 1st - 3rd, Seattle Center Pavilion

Come join me at the FREE preview: 
Friday August 31st, 2012
Noon to 9pm

This is going to be a really fun show PACKED with diverse artists!  A must see if you're in Seattle.  Come on down to Bumbershoot, listen to music, eat food and view art, what can be better?!  Check out the show's website for more info:
http://elvistravaganza.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Rie said...

This is fab! I love it!

Pat Tanumihardja said...

Will probably come by during the day, can't wait to see Elvis' hair!

Diem Chau said...

Thanks Rie!
I hope you enjoy the show Unknown ;)